History of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (April 1, 2012)
The origin of this institute dates back to May 1911 when the Second Study Group was formed within the Second Department of the then Electric Laboratory of the Ministry of Communications.
In March 1914, this group was renamed the “Study Group on Telegraph and Telephone” and began accepting members from outside the Ministry. As telegraph and telephone services developed and research and development of related technologies intensified, both in Japan and abroad, there arose a call for reforming the “study group” into an “institute of engineers.”
In May 1917, the Institute of Telegraph and Telephone Engineers of Japan was founded with the aims of studying the science and art of telegraphy and telephony, exchanging relevant knowledge and promoting related industries. It established its articles of association and began publishing journals and hosting paper presentation meetings.
In light of progress in the relevant science and technology and expansion of the technical areas which it addressed, the institute was renamed the “Institute of Electrical Communication Engineers of Japan” in January 1937. In May 1967, it became the “Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers of Japan.” As electronics technology underwent rapid development and computerization penetrated into society, the name of the organization was further changed in January 1987 to the “Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers” (IEICE) in order to embrace the information technology (IT) field.
In line with a growing desire to further vitalize the institute through activities suited to individual technical areas, the IEICE, mainly through its Fundamental Issues Study Committee, studied how best to incorporate such activities. In 1985, it adopted a group system as an interim solution.
Then, in April 1995, the society system was introduced as the final form. Today, the institute has four societies (Engineering Sciences Society, Communications Society, Electronics Society, and Information and Systems Society) and one group (Human Communication Group).
In accordance with the national policy of reforming public-interest organizations, the legal status of the institute was changed to that of a general incorporated association.